Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Intermittent Fasting Made Simple!



Intermittent fasting is an eating lifestyle in which you fast for a portion of your day and allow a specific time (eating window) to consume your meals (calories). For example, I wake up at 7am and I don’t consume my first meal until 12 pm. Then, from 12pm to 8pm I consume my meals (calories) for the day. After 8pm I fast until 12pm the following day. Therefore, my fasting time is 16 hours (8pm to 12pm) and my eating window is 8 hours (12pm to 8pm). The intermittent fasting clock above is a great visual illustration of how this eating window looks.

Moreover, there is room for flexibility; if I didn’t eat my first meal until 1pm; I can push my end time to 9pm and so forth. And the following day I can start eating at the usual time of 12pm. The fasting time allows the body more time to digest food and also burns more calories from fat reserves before introducing new calories into the body. The intermittent windows also add structure and provide an eating lifestyle blueprint to follow daily.

Furthermore, eating clean is a great way to start intermittent fasting. However, calorie counting is a great addition to this lifestyle. By counting your calories you can assure that you are eating in a caloric deficit in addition to intermittent fasting. This will increase the fat burning effect overall. Think of this as a more advanced or more aggressive approach.

In closing, when calorie counting in addition to intermittent fasting it is possible to make your eating lifestyle enjoyable. For example, if I’m counting my calories and I know I have 250 calories left to consume for the day; I can consume a 250 calorie snickers (chocolate) bar and still remain in a caloric deficit for the day. Now I have satisfied a craving, still met my goal for the day, and remained on track for losing weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment